News & Announcements
Power Shutdown for Maintenance. Saturday, August 4, 2012
To Members of the Vassar College Community,
Please be advised that the College will close all non-essential facilities on Saturday, August 4 (rain date, Saturday, August 11), to allow for a power shutdown required for performing a vital maintenance and safety review of electrical equipment throughout the central campus area. This shutdown will last for 12 hours, from 7 am until 7 pm. We selected this date because it falls after summer programs have ended and prior to the arrival of students for the fall term.
Facilities affected by this power outage are in the central campus area – east of Raymond Avenue, extending from the south side of Collegeview Avenue through to and including the South Commons apartments. Buildings with emergency generators in this area will be functioning on emergency power, including animal care facilities, the Computing and Information Services building, among others. However, most academic buildings, student residences, athletic facilities in the central campus area, and other general purpose facilities will not have power.
- All non-essential employees who are not formally scheduled to work should remain off campus, if at all possible, during the power shutdown. If you are scheduled to work, please consult with your supervisor for specific instructions prior to August 4.
- We encourage all students who remain in residence this summer to make plans to travel or visit family or friends off campus the weekend of August 3, 4 and 5.
- Buildings with card access will default to the locked condition during the power shutdown. Staff from Safety & Security as well as from the lock shop at B&G Services will be on duty to assist with essential key access. However, it is important to minimize any unnecessary building access during the power shutdown.
- The telephone system will remain operational throughout the power shutdown, with both incoming and outgoing service. Special teleconference equipment, however, will not work.
- All wired and wireless computer network access on campus will be unavailable. Even those buildings that retain normal electrical service (e.g., Alumnae House, the Town Houses, Prentiss Fields, and 2500 New Hackensack) will not have wired or wireless access.
- Network services will be accessible from off-campus connections only. These systems include the website, Banner, file sharing, and other specialized services.
The power shutdown will not affect faculty leasehold homes and apartments, as well as facilities to the west of Raymond Avenue such as Alumnae House, the Town Houses and Prentiss Fields, 2500 New Hackensack (Security and studio art), facilities at the Vassar Farm, and properties north and east of the Vassar Golf Course will also retain power. The Vassar Golf Course will be operational.
More detailed messages and reminders will be forthcoming in the next few days and leading up to the event. The Dean of the Faculty will inform members of the faculty of special reminders and suggestions. The Dean of the College staff will communicate directly with all students in residence, House Fellows and House Advisors. As August 4 approaches, further updates, including any weather-related delay, will be accessible from http://vassar.edu.
Should you have a specific question related to the effect of the power shutdown, please contact Service Response (extension 5555, email@example.com). Henry Williams and his staff will field questions or relay your question to the proper person within B&G Services or another office at the College.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Enjoy the day away from campus on August 4th!
Executive Director of Buildings and Grounds Services
Betsy Eismeier Vice President for Finance and Administration
Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, July 25, 2012